Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (8)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme that occurs here; we bloggers post about the books that we'd really like to read now :).

I have two this week :).

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Release Date: May 24, 2011

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray comes the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.

Teen beauty queens. A Lost-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Release Date: May 31, 2011

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

-I discovered Libba Bray's work over Winter Break and pretty much love anything she writes.  Plus, from what I've seen, Beauty Queens has gotten great reviews all around.
-I read the first 100 pages online of Starcrossed (via HarperCollins) and want more!  [And the concept of The Illiad and Romeo and Juliet put together sounds wonderful.... as does the theme song her German publisher made.  If you haven't heard it yet, check out this post at her website!]

What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

13 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to read Starcrossed! And Beauty Queens sounds very intriguing. Especially since I JUST started watching Lost. I'm on Season 2 now. I've never read anything by Libba Bray. That may have to change as I know her last series has been talked up so much.

    Melissa @ SheShines

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great choices, I am looking forward to Starcrossed as well.

    My WoW for this week is here :)
    http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait for wither of these. They both sound amazing. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LIBBA! I just love her and I can't wait for BEAUTY QUEENS! I got an ARC of Starcrossed this week, so super excited to start reading that one! Great picks!

    Check out my WOW this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SOSOSOS can't wait to read Starcrossed!!

    Wanna see what Paranormal Wastelands can't wait to get out sticky fingers on?
    http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SOSOSOS can't wait to read Starcrossed!!

    Wanna see what Paranormal Wastelands can't wait to get out sticky fingers on?
    http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait for Libba Bray's newest book! Her writing is always amusing :)

    Check out my WOW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for Starcrossed. I'm pretty sure it's going to be amazing. Beauty Queen intrigues me, thanks for sharing.

    Here's my WoW, please stop by and check out the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved Starcrossed! So good! I'm looking forward to reading Beauty Queens! Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beauty Queens sounds so good, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They both sound really great,I am anxious to read Starcrossed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are two great picks, definitely both on my to-read list!

    Here is my W.O.W.: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-6.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Melissa - you just started LOST?! Ahh, it was such an amazing show! And when you get the time, you should read Bray's Gemma Doyle series :).

    @Christy & Brittney - you guys are lucky you've gotten to read Starcrossed already ;p.

    @everybody else - thanks for stopping by! Am going to visit your blogs right after this comment posts :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...