Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mini Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Release Date: July 26, 2011
Published By: Harper Teen

A mini review because I really shouldn't be online.  In fact, for the next three weeks, I will be posting less on my blog.  And for everyone who has commented recently -- since last Tuesday I believe -- I promise I will get back to you eventually.  After August 19th, I will have more time.

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.

Five Things to Love about This Book:

1. Evie's Humor - it wasn't as prevalent as it was in Paranormalcy (I think because Supernaturally is a bit heavier in tone in general) but it was still there, and I was still laughing at how incredibly awesome Evie is.  Her personality is captured wonderfully.

2. Evie/Lend - Because it was cute in Paranormalcy but grew to unexpected depths of sweetness in this book.

3. The Villain - Definitely didn't expect what happened... A character who's very well developed and I think, cleverer than the villain in Paranormalcy.  Also more desperate... and promising more trouble for the next book, Endlessly.

4. Same Cast of Characters/Intriguing Paranormal World - If you loved Arianna/David/Raquel/Lend/Carlee/Steve & others, you'll be delighted to know that they're in Supernaturally and just as awesome as before.  If you loved Kiersten White's roller coaster of a paranormal world, you'll love the new details she added in Supernaturally... like fossegrims and sylphs...

5. Character Journey - Like I said, darker book because Evie's trying to find out where she belongs.  It's not the same plot as Paranormalcy but it's still captivating.

Three Things I Wish Were Done Differently:

1. Reth - He had far too few appearances.  I wanted more of him.  (I wonder what that says about me... That I wanted more of the creepy faery stalker guy.)

2. Pacing - Paranormalcy was paced better than Supernaturally... but I think that's also because of the different plots... which in the end determine which book you like better.

3. More Mystery - There was still an edge of mystery and suspense to Supernaturally but not as much as was in Paranormalcy.  Again, another side effect of being more character oriented this time around.

Hah, I was trying to go for even lists, but that was impossible.  I couldn't think of anything else I wished were done differently because I loved this book.  Granted, I liked Paranormalcy better--I'm usually less a fan of the character stories--but Supernaturally was still a great read.  It definitely wasn't a disappointing sequel and I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in Endlessly.

3 comments:

  1. It seems universal that this one wasn't as good at the first, but still seems to be worth the read. I haven't read Paranormalcy yet, but it is one that sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in two minds as to whether to get this book. I wasn't big fan of Paranormalcy, it was OK, I just didn't find it as good as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted more Reth too! I think he has hidden depths and is more than just a creepy stalker guy. Or, at least I hope :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...