Friday, December 16, 2011

Best Of... [2011 books, 2012 books, YA Heroines, blog posts]

Top Ten Books of 2011 You Should Read:

1. Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2) by Andrea Cremer - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Expands on the fascinating world she built in Nightshade + introduces awesome new characters + heart-breaking romance

2. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Like nothing else you've ever read.

3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Strong heroine, wonderful, wonderful writing, imaginative world.  And recently optioned for film by Universal! [Can't WAIT to see that happen!]

4. Divergent by Veronica Roth - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Dystopian thriller with a kickass heroine that made me question my own beliefs about bravery and the things I do daily.

5. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Best YA writer out there for YA Contemporary Romance.  Loved Cricket so much more than Etienne (from Anna and the French Kiss).

6. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Unreliable narrator and hot boy and craziness abound!

7. Hourglass by Myra McEntire - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Spunky heroine with a dark past battling time with an awesome supporting cast.

8. The Pledge by Kimberly Derting - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads
  • Blends fantasy and romance in a dystopian society centered around languages and includes familial relationships at the heart of the novel

9. Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare - Amazon | Goodreads
  • No one writes romance scenes better than she does for YA.  Holy shizwhiz, those were some steaming scenes. [Though the book also of course exacerbated my hatred of love triangles].

10. Witchlanders by Lena Coakley - My Review | Amazon | Goodreads

  • First YA non-romance book I couldn't put down because of how FANTASTIC the world-building and writing were.

*Note: some of these are my early reviews (aka not that long & extensive), but I'd still recommend the books with all my heart.

Top Book of 2012:

So I actually haven't read 10 books releasing in 2012... I've only read Incarnate, Everneath, Slide, Hallowed, and Jessica Rules the Dark Side, but my ultimate recommendation for 2012 goes to Incarnate. Awesome, awesome book - Review here.


Top Ten Favorite YA Heroines - This list only refers to the heroines who had been nominated in the contest running at YA Sisterhood.  These are characters I'd like to win / be in the top ten :).

1. Rose from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
2. Tessa from Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
3. Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore
4. Fire from Fire by Kristin Cashore
5. Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
6. Mara from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
7. Calla from Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
8. Kat from Heist Society by Ally Carter
9. Sophie from Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
10. Hermione from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

:( I know some of these girls were already eliminated... 'tis a shame.

So what were your favorite books from 2011?  Which heroines do you want to win?  Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve my blog?  Are there certain posts you'd like to see more of?

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving everyone's rundown lists! I'm not posting mine for a few weeks yet though...totally agree about Divergent and Clockwork Prince, they make my top 10 as well!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many books in your top ten that I want to read but haven't had time or the means to. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone this morning! It was a pretty impressive book! For me Divergent was the best of 2011 but then again Wolfsbane was pretty spectacular too! I like Scorpio Races and gave it a good rating but it was not my cup of tea to begin with ;)

    AND you can't go wrong with Stephanie Perkins!!!

    Looking forward to reading Incarnate so cheers to 2012! :)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...