Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rapture (Fallen #4) by Lauren Kate

Release Date: June 12, 2012
(Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher!)
Published by: Delacorte Books

Rapture (Fallen #4) by Lauren Kate

The sky is dark with wings . . . .

Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.

Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen.

For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.

In the fight for Luce, who will win?

The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer.


This isn't a typical review, because if I completely reviewed Rapture, I'd probably end up ranting about the other three books.  I've always thought that the Fallen series had a good premise, even if I thought the story wasn't heading in the way I would've preferred.

Of the Fallen books, Rapture is by far the best.

1. Luce grows a lot as a character. She irritated me in previous books because she would whine and not do anything. Essentially she was the damsel in distress who didn't know how to take care of herself and depended on Daniel. A lot. ...Well, in Rapture, she changes. She steps up and becomes a better heroine, one who's willing to take risks and be the leader that everyone needs her to be.  And bonus points!  She doesn't keep talking about how gorgeous Daniel Grigori is.

2. Daniel is less controlling. Daniel annoyed me at points in the other books because he was so controlling and demanding of Luce when she didn't know much about their relationship or him. A lot of the times I didn't see the attraction, but in Rapture, he's freer and a more assured boyfriend, which made the romance much nicer (and less requiring of suspending my disbelief).

3. The plot. Even though it was a bit cliche (find three artifacts then face the villain), it was better than those of the other books and more expansive, incorporating world-building and historical/biblical details that were interesting to read.

4. More action!  Yes, no sitting around at school, none of that drama.  The countdown element really helped move the story along and kept it fast-paced.

There were some negatives about this book. For one, I predicted what was going to happen about halfway through the book as well as many of the plot twists.... I also felt that Lauren Kate took the easy way out with some of the deaths... but all in all, I'm glad that this was how the series ended.

Fans of the series will love this conclusion as well as the revelations that unfold regarding Luce and Daniel's history, their curse, and Luce's role in this battle of good and evil.

5 comments:

  1. I found this to be a great conclusion of the series! You're right, Luce does grow up a lot during this, I didn't notice before. I did find the constant 'our love' stuff rather annoying after a while though! Passion is still my favourite of the series.

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously can not wait for this book!! Your review only makes me want it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited. I have to buy the book. Also I wonder if Luce is a fallen angel and the curse is that she has to live as a human and die every time she meets Daniel again???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with every point you made! Luce was so much better in this book compared to the last three. I almost didn't want to read this book because of her constant whining, but I needed to know how everything ended. I liked how there was more action, but I still think she could have gave us even more. And I definitely predicted the plot twists too! I wasn't as surprised as I hoped I would be, but it was still a satisfying ending. Lovely review as always, Christina <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rapture is that something huge. And, boy, does it have a plot! The world is about to end as Lucifer and his allies fall from Heaven, and Luce, Daniel, and all their friends must save the world. Luce is surprisingly strong in this volume. Gone is the Mary Sue we saw in the first three; this Luce is a fierce heroine and is better than ever. In Rapture, Luce and Daniel's love finally seems believable. And there is so much action. Every chapter ends on a cliffhanger. And Lauren Kate is not afraid to kill off characters. Just like the description promises, blood is shed and angel dust will appear.

    Not only that, but this is a magnificent way to end a series. Ms. Kate decided to take the most shocking route possible, that ending that no one could have seen coming. You will try to predict the ending throughout Rapture. But I sincerely doubt that you will predict it. It makes us see Luce in a whole other light.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...