**IF YOU ARE NOT READING THESE BOOKS/HAVE NOT READ THEM, please be aware that there will be spoilers in these posts.**
Here's the quick Goodreads summary of Days of Blood & Starlight!
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.
This is not that world.
Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.
In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.
While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.
But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?
Quick summary of Chapters 1-11:
- The story starts off with Zuzanna and Mik in Prague as they watch Kaz be interviewed about Karou and Akiva's bridge battle with Hazael and Liraz from Book 1. Zuzanna plays a prank on him since he is (totally) jerking off to the fame his ex is giving him.
- Akiva is searching for Karou, then returns to Loramendi and dukes it out with Liraz and Hazael so that the tension between them is no longer as high.
- Zuzanna sends Karou hilarious emails about taking care of the apartment, how much she misses her friend, etc.
- Akiva thinks Karou is dead because he returned to a place she spent a lot of time in her childhood and found the thurible, which holds the reconstructed souls, engraved with Karou's name. And since he killed Brimstone, he thinks there is no one to bring her soul back into another body.
- Chimaeras are being killed, slave caravans roaming the country, villages destroyed... but Karou is raising an army, I'm guessing, as one chapter focuses on a group of angels who get ambushed by the enemy.
- Mik sees something on the news from Field Museum and tells Zuzanna to look. They find out that Karou is alive... just stealing teeth from museums.
- Nothing from Karou so far.
- First off... jeez! Look how much has happened in eleven chapters! This book is really fast-paced.
- Second... That was an interesting start to the story. There's both lightness and darkness in starting with the humorous scene of Zuzanna vs. Kaz. Lightness, obviously from the humor. Darkness, because where is Karou?! It's unusual not to hear from the main protagonist, and I love it. I love that tension. We know she's not dead, but our characters don't know it, and I love finding out more of what's happening without Karou updating us right off the bat. I also find it interesting because if the book starts with absence... will it end with one too? Will someone die?
- Third... the humor + the war + the grief and longing and hope for redemption... I'm already loving the combination. And I love the idea of Zuzanna emailing Karou though Karou has kind of disappeared off the planet, you know? I didn't think all that much about their friendship in the first book - it was there, but I didn't know how strong it was... and this makes me think otherwise.
- Fourth... There's a map of Eretz at the beginning! I love that this feels like such an epic fantasy, no longer the tale of star-crossed lovers and misplaced identity and the revenge Akiva took. Plus, finding out more about the world Laini Taylor has created is always fun.
- Fifth... Laini Taylor and her writing. *insert dreamy sigh here*
What do you think?! Tell me your thoughts about the book so far :).