Thursday, June 6, 2013

Book Review: Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Release Date: June 11, 2013
(Thank you to the publisher!)
Published by: HarperTeen


Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.


This book depends on readers not knowing a thing before getting into the story, so I am going to try and avoid spoilers as much as possible. This also means that I won't be writing my typical +/- review, because I don't know if I could follow both conditions there.

  • This book is not for everyone. If you are the kind of reader who needs everything to make perfect sense, who needs answers immediately, or who dislikes abrupt changes in the text, you may not enjoy this book. Another Little Piece will take you on quite the ride. Sometimes, it will push the bounds of disbelief, and you might want to put down the book--I did a few times, mostly because I knew I wasn't going to get all the answers until I sat through and read the entire thing. That doesn't mean that the book is bad, of course.
  • This book breaks most YA conventions in terms of plot and genre. It's not really horror, or paranormal romance, or a combination of the two as some other YA books have done (i.e. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer). I've had days to think about this, but I'm still not sure how I would classify it. That's also because the plot takes a completely different turn from what you might expect. Its plot is unusual and exciting, the twists unusual and exciting, and it is to be enjoyed for its refreshing take on revenge, horror, lust, love, control, power, memory, identity, hope, etc.
  • The world is unlike others I've read. The world and the plot are well entwined in this, and because the world is original and almost patch-like, with all the different influences, it's impossible to predict where the story will go, or what will be included next.
  • The characters... are kind of strange. I said before that the book might test your capacity to believe, and that also includes the characters. Sometimes I found it hard to relate to any of the characters, including our protagonist. She has a distant tone that fits well with the horror and unusual, spacey/dreamlike feel of the book, but that also makes it hard to feel... involved in her story.
  • The horror. If you are a visual reader, oh, bleep, you will be freaked out by some of the scenes in this book. And the atmospheric, spacey, almost accepting feel of the book makes those scenes that much creepier. 
  • On marketing: I haven't read the Pretty Little Liars series, but from what I've heard of it, I did not get that sense at all. I haven't read Stephen King either, but I agree with what the synopsis says about his fans. Anna Dressed in Blood, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer-- maybe those as well.
  • The writing in this book is wonderful. Atmospheric, unique. There's always this sense of uneasiness, which fits so well with the story (and the critical, almost distant but also vulnerable protagonist), and I am looking forward to reading more of Kate Karyus Quinn's work for that very reason. As this book has undoubtedly shown me, she's quite talented.
If you're looking for a well-written, atmospheric and unpredictable thriller with gut-clenching horror, you'll find a winner in Another Little Piece.

For another review, check out what Wendy at The Midnight Garden had to say on Another Little Piece: "With shifting timelines, shocking acts of vengeance, and the uncomfortable sensation of being constantly unbalanced, this oddly dreamy book captures the unsettling sensation of not being in your own skin--and despite its violence, despite its bloodshed, it somehow manages to make you feel pity for the cursed as well. I felt confused, and I occasionally felt frustrated, but what I felt most of all was incredible excitement at reading such an unusual story. It's impossible to predict most of the events that unfold, and I loved that I was never entirely sure that I understood what was happening."

10 comments:

  1. I am a visual reader and it was a bit horrifying visualizing some of the scenes (such as the cigarette burn and others). You are right, this book is REALLY hard to classify but I can say that it is NOT like the Pretty Little Liars series at all. At the beginning I was SO confused and thought about DNF-ing it because I like knowing things.. then I just let that go and enjoyed the mystery and all the freaky stuff happening in this novel and in the end I just loved it!

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book may not be for everyone, but I think it's for me! Fantastic review, I'm even more excited to read it now :D

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This book does seem like it's not for everybody but I'm definitely interested in all the mystery and you sold me with "atmospheric" writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this book has lots of mystery and suspense, and the writing is just wonderful. Hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! I hope you enjoy it, Taylor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it does constantly confuse you, doesn't it? But letting go was the key, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! How did you end up classifying it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one has received a lot of mixed reviews, but I am definitely picking it up (when it's released) as it sounds different. I love that it breaks most YA conventions, and the writing sounds awesome. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a mixed review kind of book. I can see people either loving or hating it, and I hope that you are one of the ones who love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK you! I can't wait to read this story. I love mind benders, and this sounds like a big one. I love it when a book makes you think about it, and think hard, before you even come close to figuring it out. I really can't wait for this book. I love a good horror story too, and I am a very visual reader (the basement scene in Anna Dressed in Blood had me awake for days!) so it just makes me even more excited. My hubby will be so glad to have his wife attached to his back at night when we go to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haaha, well expect some more days awake then with this one :). I hope you enjoy this mind-bending, horror story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...