Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lush on Thursday

You're wondering what Lush on Thursday is supposed to mean. Thursday, oh Thursday: the day right before the glorious weekend, the day right before you can get drunk on books for three days straight. Lush on Thursday will (hopefully) be a regular feature here at Christina Reads YA in which I express my love for all things young adult book-related, including the lush writing of Laini Taylor and the lush to-read pile that will soon be consumed by this lush.

According to dictionary.com (my English teacher is twitching, wondering why I'm not using the OED they gave to us), lush means:
1. a drunkard, alcoholic, sot, or intoxicating liquor (noun version);
2. to drink (liquor) (verb version) or;
3. abounding in lavish growth (re: vegetation), succulent and fleshy (re: fruit), and luxurious, elaborate, opulent (adjective version).

There are a LoT of books (which seem to grow in my library like vegetation; that damned to-read pile has a mind of its own) that could use the extra attention that features like this, WoW, etc. provide. With the abandon of drunkenness and the zeal of a book lover, I shall tell you about said books. Without further ado, here is the choice for this week:

Starglass by Phoebe North
Release Date: July 23, 2013
Published by: Simon and Schuster

Terra has never known anything but life aboard the Asherah, a city-within-a-spaceship that left Earth five hundred years ago in search of refuge. At sixteen, working a job that doesn't interest her, and living with a grieving father who only notices her when he's yelling, Terra is sure that there has to be more to life than what she's got.

But when she inadvertently witnesses the captain's guard murdering an innocent man, Terra is suddenly thrust into the dark world beneath her ship's idyllic surface. As she's drawn into a secret rebellion determined to restore power to the people, Terra discovers that her choices may determine life or death for the people she cares most about. With mere months to go before landing on the long-promised planet, Terra has to make the decision of a lifetime--one that will determine the fate of her people.

This book-loving lush is waiting, waiting, waiting on Starglass by Phoebe North. I really hope Starglass does well. I want a young adult science fiction novel that's not marketed as science fiction for people who don't like science fiction. When I looked at the editorial reviews on Barnes & Noble, this book seems to have everything I want: a unique and well-developed world, crush-worthy characters, slow-building romance, a determined, strong heroine who grows from her trials, and writing that does its job... The last book Veronica Roth blurbed that I read -- I think -- was Shadow and Bone, and if you read this blog consistently, you know that's one of my favorites. Also: major props to Phoebe North for creating a Jewish based society and turning the Christian default on its head.

For those of you interested, take a look at Phoebe North's page for Starglass. She describes the world in extra detail there.

What are you hoping to read soon? Is there a book you think I should read ASAP? Something you've read recently that you lovelovelove?

7 comments:

  1. agreed! I don't think that Phoebe North has gone for a lighter touch... Or at least I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, as a person who actually LIKES science fiction, I get really annoyed with how they soften it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starglass looks so awesome. I tried for the ARC - denied. Oh well. It still looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Starglass -- it was definitely not heavy on the sci-fi, which was fine with me -- more of a coming of age story that happened to be on a spaceship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... I haven't tried yet, but considering my terrible record on Edelweiss and that Simon & Schuster generally doesn't approve me anywhere, I'll probably go the same way as you... We'll get another chance somewhere else, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secret rebellions, that does get my attention :D I don't think I've read a book about people on a spaceship before and I'm definitely interested to see how that works out for me. I'm not a huge fan of heavy sci-fi, but I do like elements of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, another reader commented that it's not too heavy on sci-fi, more of a coming-of-age tale on a spaceship. Reminds me of Across the Universe, from the sounds of it (have you read that?). And secret rebellions always sound like fun :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...