Thursday, July 18, 2013

Lush on Thursday

Lush on Thursday is essentially the spotlight feature here at Christina Reads YA. For a further explanation of what the feature means, read my first ever LoT post :).

Today's pick is...

Just One Year by Gayle Forman

After spending an amazing day and night together in Paris, Just One Year is Willem's story, picking up where Just One Day ended. His story of their year of quiet longing and near misses is a perfect counterpoint to Allyson's own as Willem undergoes a transformative journey, questioning his path, finding love, and ultimately, redefining himself.

^--- A little disappointing that there's not much more of a synopsis anywhere - GR, Amazon, etc.

Sadly, I am not a huge fan of the cover. This seems a lot less YA and a lot more NA (kissing couple, minimal Parisian setting), and while the Just One duology could be considered a part of the growing NA trend, I don't think it's the typical NA book. And although the summary hints at Willem's own journey, this cover doesn't have the same reflective feeling that the Just One Day hardcover book promotes. BUT ANYWAY:

This is the one title that I actually filled out a request form for. I've done that a total of ... three? four? times since I've started my blog. If the ARC request form is available on the author page, and I want the ARC badly enough, I will fill it out. This title is one I really want. I haven't heard anything about this though, and I never heard anything about those other times either so.. *sigh*

WHY THIS TITLE NEEDS TO COME SOONER:

  • Willem was acting strangely in Just One Day. I'm not sure I've forgiven or started to like him quite as much as Ms. Forman's other characters, but I want to know his story... ASAP.
  • The little teaser at the end of Just One Day... Need more nao! :)
  • It's Gayle Forman. She's got this beautiful writing style that effortlessly embeds truth into the narrative. If I Stay is one of the books that defines me as a YA reader, partly because of her writing style.
  • Allyson. I suspect she'd make for a great book girl friend. Plus, I want to see whether the growth she went through in JOD holds through in JOY.
  • Self discovery + character growth + contemporary romance + Parisian setting / traveling and all the fine stains that come with it :D = yes please.

What are you hoping to read soon? Is there a book you think I should read ASAP? Something you've read recently that you lovelovelove? Have you read Just One Year/are you anticipating it?

8 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Just one day. I'm not a huge fan of contemporary books, so I don't read them very often. This book is on my list though and I might try it this vacation - I'm always more in the mood for these type of books when the weather is warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contemporaries are always nice to read in the summer. Too bad Allyson doesn't visit any Italian places - then you could follow her adventure closely :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as Mel, I haven't read Just One Day either. Jenni loved it I know and lots of other people do, too, you among them. I ordered the US paperback which releases in August. So I'll probably read JOD in the early fall. Now I know not to make the mistake of letting Gayle Forman's books stack my shelf for no reason. I didn't read If I Stay right away which turned out to be a BIG mistake since it's one of the books that defines me as a reader as well. LOVED it to the moon and back! I like both of the covers though. I hope you'll get the answers you're looking for in this book:) I'm impatiently waiting for Allegient so I can finally read Insurgent + the third book in Mara Dyer series. Oh, and Origin by JLA. Oh yes, lots to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it a lot, maybe not loved it though. I am definitely hoping to like JOY more, with Willem's mysteriousness explained + Allyson holding onto the part of herself she discovered via her collegiate self-growth. I hope you get the answers you're looking forward to too! Reading JOD in the fall & being able to read JOY soon after is a good decision rather than having to wait :). Allegiant & Retribution of Mara Dyer & so many books to look forward to! I hope they'll live up to our expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree about that cover, the reason I didn't pick up the first book was because I thought it was New Adult. I think I will pick it up at the library soon, though! A book I am anxiously waiting to read is The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and The Truth About You and Me :)

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Gayle Forman so I'm definitely excited for this one...but I just didn't really like JOD. I felt like Allyson let that one day affect her ENTIRE YEAR at school, and it felt so over the top. I did like her as she made her one friend and took that class, and when she was working hard to get back to Europe, but I thought the entire growth section backslide the entire way back down the hill at the end of the book. *sigh* I know Tatiana, Catie, and I are all excited to see how Forman explains Willem's disappearance. I hope the resolution is well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just One Year won't be out for a while, but you could pick up Just One Day from the library soon. I haven't heard of the The Truth About You and Me, but the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea was definitely well-written and entertaining. :) Hope they live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I can see how the trip to Europe and that it was one day affecting the entire year, especially if you weren't sold on Willem in the first place, could make the entire read not as great. I wasn't completely sold on the love story either, but hopefully Willem will redeem himself.

    Thanks for stopping by, Flannery! I hope the resolution will please us both, and Tatiana and Catie :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...