Friday, July 19, 2013

Mini Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Release Date: July 2, 2013
Published by: Harper Teen

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.


If you follow this blog closely, you'd know that last Monday, I posted my glowing review of Pivot Point by Kasie West. I loved the characterization, the plot, the humor, etc. And The Distance Between Us is a great follow-up. Caymen is hilarious. She's sarcastic, has this dry humor that catches people who don't know her off-guard but makes you grin stupidly while you're reading. Xander is a wonderful book boyfriend: patient, kind, loyal, considerate, thoughtful (their dates--grin!) and apologetic when need be. Also, it felt like Kasie West had read my mind: she created this strong, independent, funny heroine who likes science! (Also also, KW includes yet another awesome strong female friendship, and a strong emphasis on the mother-daughter bond.) This book is wonderfully fluffy, or as another reader told me, "flufftastic." If you're looking for a fun, glowing, and fast-paced summer read that will give you a bunch of feels and make you feel warm inside, The Distance Between Us is definitely a candidate.

But.

Okay, I can't discuss the book without spoilers, so WATCH OUT FOR THE HIGHLIGHTED SECTION.

The ending ruined the book a bit for me. Suddenly Caymen discovers that she's actually rich - that not just her father is rich; her mother's parents are rich too. Despite having disowned her mother, Caymen's grandparents come back into their lives right when things are coming to a crapshoot, when Caymen and her mom will have gastronomical hospital bills to pay in addition to the debts they owe on the doll store. Thus everything is resolved. Their money problems? Psh. Caymen's college problems? Not anymore. The surgery? No worries there. The ending just felt too rushed and too much like magic, too idealistic for me personally. The book was so much fun until this, when it felt like the floor was pulled out from under me. This is obviously a personal preference, and may not bother every reader.

If you need everything to make sense or fit perfectly, this may bug you. Otherwise, you're good to go, and I hope you enjoy TDBU.

23 comments:

  1. I loved this book and Caymen as a character. I agree, loved that she was sarcastic with a dry sense of humor (I would say a bit snarky). Definitely a fluffy, fun read. And yeah, the spoiler section you write about, definitely unnecessary to the story and made everything a bit too convenient and unrealistic. Still enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely snarky too, and yes, I also enjoyed the book despite the spoiler. It's a recommendation with a small, small portion of hesitancy, because I do think some people will be bothered by that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeep I am so excited for this one. I think I will really come to love the characters. I didn't read the spoiler. But my eyes kept wondering, I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a really small spoiler (sorry about drawing the extra attention to it!) and something that I don't think will affect every reader. I think you'll love the characters & the humor, Jenni :). I hope that you enjoy TDBU when you get the chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skipping the spoiler since I haven't read this one yet; but Christina, I'm so happy that for the most part you liked this one. Flufftastic sounds PERFECT right about now. I'm gonna check out your Pivot Point review. :)

    Have a wonderful day!
    Molli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, despite the spoiler, this one is great, and I hope that the flufftastic elements work for you :). I hope you also have a wonderful day & thanks for stopping by my PP review too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this about a week after it came out, but I haven't gotten the chance to pick it up yet! I really should, though, since I've seen numerous glowing reviews and I adored Pivot Point. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, agree 1000%. Loved the book, loved the romance, was not a fan of the ending. I felt that it took a crucial aspect of the book and just threw it out the window -- but I still recommend this book for a feel-good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a lot of similar elements from PP. I think KW has a very strong sense of humor and emphasis on strong female friendships, with familial relationships also playing quite a bit in the background. Hopefully you'll enjoy the book when you get the chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm... Not sure what to think about this one! It's outside of my usual reading area, but I've seen some positive things about it and the part of your review I can read makes it sound great. But that spoilery bit I can't look at? Something I'm assuming with something not making sense or fitting right? Hmm... Part of me wants to go get the book to read it just so I can read that paragraph! Haha. Honestly though, I think in the end I would settle for Pivot Point over this one. I'm real excited to read it after positive reviews both here and elsewhere, and anytime a reviewer mentions a different book during a review makes me feel like that other book is that good it won't leave their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got this one today, and I'm really hoping I'll enjoy it. I'm a bit worried that I won't like the ending, but hopefully it won't bug me too much. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so loved this one that I'm considering digging Pivot Point out of the ol' TBR pile and giving it another go. I'm down for an occasional fluffy read myself, and maybe it just came along at the right time, but I raced through The Distance Between Us in one day. Loved it.


    As for the ending, it was a little too neat--and I wondered if there would be another book? Even if there had been one discussion about money, I would have been happy. I was thinking of the medical bills myself--and the fact that Caymen's grandparents kicked her mother out was never really addressed. So that's all just forgiven? Like it never happened? Er...what?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, well the spoilery bit--even with it, it's like I'd seen on another review: this book still gave me the feels of a HEA. It may not satisfy in terms of novel mechanics, or wanting something critical, but it's definitely good at making you *feel*. Either way, whichever Kasie West book you read, I hope you enjoy :). PP is a definite crowd-pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let me know what you think later! I hope it won't bug you too much either :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely. I also think it's interesting that even if we both weren't satisfied with the ending, we're both still recommending the book :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me too! It's the perfect time for a fluffy read now. And oh nooo, was PP a DNF/reassigned to the TBR?


    I didn't think there'd be another book even with all the loose threads because it seems like there's not enough plot to sustain one. Unless it's with a side character as MC, and these issues referred to that way... Yeah, there was no discussion; GP just became "the back-up." I understand that extraordinary circumstances could have helped with the forgiving, but it also didn't feel right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES. I COMPLETELY agree with you. I loved most of this book (and adored Caymen, Xander, and their cute relationship), but the ending really felt very rushed to me. It just tied the story off a little too soon and a little too perfectly... though it makes me wonder if the author will ever come back to these characters and write a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would you get it if there were a sequel? I loved the characters, their relationship, and the humor, but I'm not sure the plot for the next book would be enough, no matter how neat the ending despite the ignored, uneven edges.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christina FrankeJuly 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

    You know, there was something I couldn't put my finger on that I didn't like about TDBU and your spoilers are it. Otherwise it was the perfect fluffy book, but I do remember being really weirded out by Caymen's secret wealth. It was just too convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah. It's disappointing to read after PP, because I know how awesome West can tie up plot threads so... I don't know. Maybe everyone else right. Maybe there will be a sequel about that wealth. Either way, still a good read. Flufftastic is also one of my favorite words of yours to refer to this book :P.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love flufftastic books! It all sounds utterly enjoyable...until the end. Sigh. Why do authors tend to smudge their work at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay, I'm glad you loved this one, though I agree, the ending did feel rushed and a little too perfect for me. Still, it left me feeling happy, and that's all I can really ask for from a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some people have suggested that this book might have a sequel. I looked on the author's website, and the deal was for two books. The second book was unspecified, so it's possible the ending was open & rushed for another novel in that world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...