- The Middle Place by An Na (YA - an existential exploration of the link between genetics and madness, Atheneum 2015; also a 2017 MG novel)
- My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga (YA debut -16-year-old physics geek Aysel is obsessed with planning her own death... She makes a pact with an unlikely boy with the same goal, but as she starts falling for him, she starts to question her beliefs. Balzer + Bray, winter 2015)
- Underneath Everything by Marcy Beller Paul (YA debut contemporary psychological thriller about two girls bound by an obsessive friendship, Balzer + Bray, fall 2015)
- Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) by Amy Spalding (YA - tells of a 17-year-old rocker girl and the boys in her life – a science nerd who's a secret Casanova, a music fiend from another town, and a guy so cute he can only be called "the crush." Poppy, spring 2015)
- Whoosh! Lonnie Johnson's Super Stream of Ideas by Chris Barton & illustrated by Don Tate (picture book about the Tuskegee-educated inventor and NASA engineer whose knowledge of fluid dynamics led to the invention of the Super Soaker, Charlesbridge, spring 2016).
- Woundabout written by Lev AC Rosen and illustrated by Ellis Rosen (MG - two orphaned siblings and their capybara are shipped off to live with a mysterious aunt in a town where time seems frozen, Little, Brown, spring 2015)
- iPhone That Saved George Washington by David Potter (1st in MG series about a group of prep school kids who find themselves in 1776 America and have to stop the untimely murder of George Washington before he crosses the Delaware plus get home before their power runs out, Crown).
- Frostborn by Lou Anders (first in MG fantasy adventure series called Thrones and Bones, inspired by Norse myth and folklore, Crown 2014)
- The Alchemist's Son by John Claude Bemis (MG series that reimagines the Pinocchio story, Disney-Hyperion 2015)
- The Creeping by Alexandra Sirowy (debut YA thriller - a girl who vanished with her friend when they were both five was the only one who returned; years later, she recovers memories from that time amid a wave of creepy events, Simon & Schuster, summer 2015)
- Big Whoop! by Maxine Lee (an imperturbable fox discovers the joys of friendship, POW!, May 2014)
- Untitled by George Ancona (nonfiction picture book - children participating in different community service efforts, Candlewick 2015)
So cool! Sourcebooks is teaming up with Macmillan to add author-illustrator Nancy Tilman's picture book On the Night You Were Born to its digital platform (Put Me in the Story), which will allow parents to create a personalized edition of the book for their children. The things you can do with digital apps these days...
Publisher Egmont Press has partnered with hotel chain Jury's Inn to provide 10 titles children can borrow over the summer months. (!!!) That may be one of the coolest things I've seen a publisher do.
Harlequin is expanding its publishing programs with the launch of new digital first initiatives from Harlequin, Harlequin Teen, Harlequin Mira, and Harlequin HQN. <-- Yay for new original e-shorts! Are you a fan of them? Or do they fall under your hated price-y novella category?
Major Publishers are rejecting the Department of Justice's proposed injunction to Apple.
Have you heard? The Today Show is starting an Oprah-like Book Club. Here's to hoping some children's novels make it onto their list!
UK readers: Random House UK has set up a program called Bookmarks through which you'll fill out surveys that allow you to shape the publisher's books and win prizes.
You can vote for YALSA's Teens Top Reads of 2013 now. Have you decided which titles you'll choose?
And here's a preview for the Indie's Next List for children's titles in Autumn 2013.
More on the story behind The Lion and Unicorn, a 33 year old bookstore in the UK that is now being closed.
Did you know that there's a YA book loosely based off the musical Brigadoon? Well, you can read about it and read an excerpt here.
Throne of Glass fans: here's another extra: The Assassin and the Healer. Have you been reading these exclusive scenes?