Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Goals & Resolutions - This Blog in the New Year

Hello, everyone! I've been on vacation and still am on the vacation, so don't expect much from the blog until after January 4th. But I am here to discuss what you can expect from my blog in the new year... :)

A.) Fewer ARC Reviews - That's right. I've almost finished reading all the 2015 ARCs I have - I'm ahead for once! wow! - and then I have to finish the four I missed from last summer. With those done and reviews written, I am done reviewing ARCs, at least for the present. I don't like the stress of it. I don't like feeling like I ought to be reading something simply because it's coming out soon. Most of all, I don't like how I keep falling behind on other books I do want to read more because their release dates are old.

B.) Tackling TBR/Reading Freely - You might see some older books being discussed here. I'm taking recommendations again, if anyone still remembers my old feature, Christina Reads Your Recommendations. I'll probably only read books that I'm interested in of those recommendations (because some really don't fit me, sorry), but I really loved that idea and I love getting to discover new books that might be old but are no less precious. I feel heavy and bad owning a lot of books that I haven't read. I'm not doing the author a favor in keeping these books, letting them acquire dust without me ever reading or discussing them; not doing myself a favor, what with the money I've spent on these books only to let their pages fade without me even bending their spines once. Most of all, I feel selfish having these TBR books when there are people who don't have the same fortune as I do, and may wish to have more books or books sold to them at a cheaper price than Amazon or Barnes & Noble etc. do. I'm going to read all of these and if I don't love them, my spring cleaning will not be merciful.

C.) More Graphics - Ever since high school, I have loved making graphics in photoshop. If it weren't for the fact that graphic design was so unrelated to my major in college, I would have taken that class. And also, I really love Pinterest. I think that's essentially my favorite of all the social media that I currently use. All the time on Pinterest I see a lot of really cool bookish related graphics and I want to make them too. I already have. My MBTI graphics consistently bring people to my blog. I want to start that feature again. I want to create some more graphics and so I will. I might even create graphics to review novels (short summaries, at least) - if I have the time.

D.) More Commenting/Engagement - What I miss most of all is feeling involved in the community. In a year and a half, I went from feeling like I was a full-time blogger, spending too much time on blogging and commenting though feeling very much a part of the community to being depressed and not wanting to give more of myself to others to getting over that depression but still not having enough motivation to return to the community to adapting to a new job to *here,* where I have adapted and I've got my own schedule, but I haven't tried to come back into the community. There's got to be a middle ground. I've come up with a new plan. Each week comment on the blogs of those who comment here, and comment on the discussion posts of those who I link to in my bookish rounds posts. If commenters here take too much time, then I won't do the latter that week. Simple, right? It's discussion posts I'd most like to comment on anyway, and people who visit and comment here, I would love to engage with you more. I also would like to get involved in the Booktubing community, so there's that too.

E.) Better Blogging / BookTubing - Here's the thing that most of all needs improvement: me. I'm lazy. It's weird because I'm also a perfectionist. But that's in relation to things I care most about, and since I've stretched myself too thin on some things, I've grown not to care about some blog posts or videos, and thus have been lazy about making them the best they could be. My thumbnails on my booktube videos could be improved. I could be better at promoting this blog and the channel. I could be less lazy about writing posts with content that I want. So, out of all these goals, the best one to have is to recover my enthusiasm for blogging and to push forward with booktubing. Renewed enthusiasm will make me better at all of the above.

What are some of your goals and resolutions? Is there anything you would like to see more of from me or miss from me?

P.S. - If you're looking for a bookish rounds post, I'm sorry. It's not coming until next week. While I'm in California, I just can't bring myself to work on job or a lot of blog related things.

P.P.S. - Not the New Year yet but still: Happy New Year!!!

19 comments:

  1. Enjoy your vacation! I hope you are having an amazing time and HAPPY NEW YEAR sweet Christina. I'm also trying to tackle my TBR pile even more next year, in combination with buying less books. It's getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are enjoying your vacation! I hope to tackle my TBR as well this year, but I said that last year and that didn't work out so well lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're having a lovely vacation! :)

    The last few months I've been commenting and visiting a lot of blogs. I was initially following nearly 800 blogs (a lot of them weren't even blogging anymore) but I reduced it so that I'm now only following my favorite blogs and it's much easier communicating with other bloggers and reading and commenting on blogs that I thoroughly enjoy reading now - so I feel much more part of the community now!

    Good luck with your goals! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My TTT Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I hope you're having fun on your vacation! :D

    One of my goals is to actually read from my ever growing TBR list. I feel so guilty having unread books on my shelf. They aren't there for decoration. It's for reading! I totally need to comment more on other blogger's blog. I've been feeling kind of disconnected with everyone the past month.



    I hope you achieve all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!! Vacation is very nice. Too nice, sometimes, seeing as I've become lazy and complacent in it when I could be much more productive... If you're trying to tackle your TBR pile -- well, if there's a book that's also on my list, we should definitely read together! Encourage each other to get through the pile!


    Happy New Year, Mel :) :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kimberly! Yeah, I do tend to say "I'm going to tackle my TBR this year" and then not end up doing that so well -- BUT THIS IS THE YEAR :D. You may hold me accountable if I don't do well ;).


    (Also if you do want to tackle your tbr, I'm open to read-alongs with friends if we have the same books there!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kyra! Wow, 800 blogs. I can't even imagine. I know when I look through my Feedly, I still see too many blogs and I'm daunted by the sheer number of posts there (they're not all book bloggers, though). Still, it's as you said: reduce some of the number and get to comment on your favorite blogs! Agreed completely!


    Thanks for the luck wish :). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Cee! Thank you. I am having fun & I'm being super lazy while at it, ha. Oh, vacation. If there are any books that we share in common... we could do a read-along? Are we friends on Goodreads? We should be if we're not! And I hope that we both feel less disconnected with other bloggers soon :D.


    I hope the YA book cover choice awards went well :). Thanks! I hope you achieve your goals too & Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We should definitely do that! I just did that with another blogger. We didn't plan it, just happened we were reading the same book at the same time, but it was so much fun talking back and forth as we were reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think since October I've been laying off the arc's and slowed down to a crawl on requesting books. There are so many books on my physical and ebook shelves that I have not read yet because I was always playing catch up with arc's or review books. My hope is to catch up on all my personal books within the year.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly! Playing catch up on ARCs and review books has made me fall behind on ebooks and physicals as well. The personal books are definitely getting more attention this year. If you see any from me that you want to read/that we share in common, let's do a read-along!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That would be fun. I've never done a read-along before. Do you have a list of your books on goodreads or somewhere that I could check out?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great goals! Yes, I hate having ARCs sitting there on my Kindle that I know I should be reading. I'm trying to just request the ones I plan on reading anyway, we'll see how that works out. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, I tried that for a while but the truth is, I ended up requesting books I thought I planned on reading anyway -- but ones that I needed to give up. "Oh, let me try another one of X and X's books, maybe it was a fluke before." But, I wouldn't have even *seen* or considered that person's book if it were not offered as an ARC, right there.


    But anyway. I hope that your plan to request books you only plan on reading works out! :) Happy New Year, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year, Christina! May 2015 be a good year for you! :) And I hope you had fun in California.


    This year I plan to read more books that I own. I want to bring the TBR percentage of the books I own down to below 50%. A the moment it must be in the 90%-range. Heh. Oops xD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year, Josephine :). May 2015 be a good year for you too! I did have fun and lots of lazy relaxation time in CA. Hey, hey, if you're also working on reading more books that you own, if we have any in common, we should do a read-along together -- well, if you're interested :D. I don't want a 90% range either :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely fewer ARCs for me, too! Unless something really, really, really catches my eye, I'll stick to reading freely through my books! Not only that, but I preordered about 18 books that I'm super excited for this year, so at least I'll have some random bookish mail to look forward to! Good luck on all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep! I've almost finished with all the ARCs I'd requested in 2014 (for this year), and then like you said: reading freely through my books! Pre-ordering books I'm excited about -- can't wait to continue doing that again this year. I hope you enjoy your 18 pre-orders and good luck with your goals too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, yes. So I just looked through (https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4454781?shelf=owned-but-have-not-read) - I made this list last year for myself, it's a little outdated, but that's most that I have on my computer or somewhere around the house. If there are any books in common, let me know. Also it might take me a while to get them since some are in California, some in New Jersey, some I lent to friends o.O. I apparently didn't make this easy for myself...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...