Monday, February 2, 2015

Outtakes: Booktube Thumbnails

So, making thumbnails for my booktube channel is sometimes kind of funny and/or a weird process. I think that most people use Picmonkey for their thumbnails, but I wanted something different. Something more Christina. More "Lushables" as a brand. Plus, as I said in my New Year's resolutions, I lurve making graphics. When I was in high school, someone gave me Photoshop Elements 5.0 (lol Adobe is now on version 12.0), and so now I use Elements to give my thumbnails a slightly different look from those other booktubers use (or so I hope).

But, first I've got to take a picture or two on my camera to edit in Elements... and, er, the results of those aren't always the best lol. Here's a look through my thoughts and thumbnail creation process.

Okay, cool, you're smiling. Um, so how is this supposed to reflect your "book byte" video? You have no books nearby... This looks like a selfie. Also, do you have crow's feet? DAMMIT, YOU'RE ONLY TWENTY-THREE. STOP AGING SO QUICKLY. (Also, do you have a crooked smile? Is this the first time I'm noticing this?) 
Your mother has always said "stop smiling" because she thinks your eyes will look bigger in non-smiling, serious photos. So, maybe the solution was to not smile!
WELL, GUESS WHAT, THIS STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BOOKS! 
Okay, let's point at where you will put "book byte" text and then the spot where the covers will go. 
But, but... you're using photoshop.
Remember, other people can too.
THEREFORE NEVER EVER POST A PICTURE WITH YOUR MOUTH THAT OPEN.
Yes, you are that paranoid, and yet silly enough to post it here? 
Wait, wait, this might just work... despite your bandaged finger...
tada!
The birth of all book byte video thumbnail forms.
A collage on one side, explanation & title on the other. 
Hey, what would it look like if you took a picture of yourself while editing your videos. 
Could that be your channel icon?
OMG YOU HAVE NO IRISES AND YOUR PUPILS ARE ALMOST NON-EXISTENT,
ARE YOU AN ALIEN?!
LOOK IT HAPPENED AGAIN.
(p.s. is that drool coming out of your mouth?)
PHEW YOU CAN BE NORMAL SOMETIMES.
Let's not talk about the fact that you forgot the apostrophe...
Christina knowz grammar, kay?!?
One of many times when you thought you'd clicked "record video," but then somehow had been snapping a picture of yourself in an awkward moment. Yay, you! #trolledbyowncamera
Okay, the lighting was never going to be normal for this video and shot.
You accept that it looks like your face is being eaten by light.
And maybe this will be an okay "open mouth" picture.
Damn, why can't your hair look like that all the time?
Ooooh, let's add some "brush" paint like glitter.
BOOKS ARE ALL ABOUT THE GLITTER, PEOPLE. 
Oh, hey, you got a picture right after the first try for once.
YAY!!! Also, make this your channel icon.
So colorful and pop-arty. 
Your style is definitely evolving to include more Photoshop. 
GOD DAMN STOP TAKING ACCIDENTAL PHOTOS, CAMERA.
What?! Another shot that works right at the outset? Can this be?!
Also, your teeth look kind of yellow. Er, deal with that?
You wish you could do this sort of font effect again.
But you don't remember what you did anymore.
So let's make almost all thumbnails look completely different! 
OMG THE CAMERA DID IT AGAIN.
ANOTHER ACCIDENTAL PHOTO!
YOU SHALL GIVE IT THE GLARE OF DOOM.
Sure, why not? Thumbs up works for any "recommendations."
And you don't look so bad.
Therefore let's make sure that no one gets to see what you looked like anyway! 
Camera, you are evil. Stop these accidental photos or I will glare you to death. 
Er, what were you trying to accomplish with this? Insert a book between your hands?
Whack yourself on the head with your own arm?
Have a stray piece of hair awkwardly curl on the side of your head? 
Yeah, that's right, just continue with your established "book byte" format.
Oooh, this is nice. LET'S USE ALL THE EFFECTS OF PHOTOSHOP. 
Er, what are you trying to accomplish? Dancing while sitting? Making your arms look like whited out laser beams? Raise your hands in the air to make it look like ya don't care? 
Fine, camera. I won't look at you anymore when you take these accidental photos.
IT'S A PARTY UP IN HERE AND Y'ALL WERE NOT INVITED.
Apparently.
You have no clue when you even took those photos. 
You accomplished the thumbnail photo objective with just one try!
And, aw, this is actually a kind of nice photo.
Therefore let's make sure that no one can actually see your face.
A.) Wrong resolution/dimension size for your video.
B.) Your fingers are too high up for you to do the usual format.
C.) Your hair looks as greasy and gross as it feels. Do something?
Wait, did you manage to make your lips go back down at the end there?
UP and then to the peak and then DOWN again.
YOU HAVE SINUSOIDAL LIPS!!!
Woohoo! Though you should stop making that face at people.
You'll probably scare them all away. 
A.) Your fingers are too high again.
B.) what is wrong with your mouth.
C.) Your hands are too close to the camera. They look bigger than your face.
D.) you're not even looking at the camera!
you look drugged. your eyes, your mouth, your hands.
this is not an improvement.
oh no. 
SURE SO LET'S WEIRD EXPRESSION FACES THEN.
You will never be able to recreate that popart look from your Best Books video.
Give it up.
Aw, yay, another "one shot" thumbnail!
God damn! You really can't recreate that popart thumbnail.
And this looks 0% bookish. Nice. 
A.) Wrong size picture for the video.
B.) What happened to the lighting?
C.) You don't look like you want to be here...
Wow, you look so young without makeup...
don't tell your mom you're not wearing any.
she'll freak out, especially if you're posting gross pictures of yourself!
But wait, does your hair look a little gray at the front there?
Forget looking young! Ha ha ha.
Yay book bytes!
You look like you're in pain. 
Which is entirely possible since you are about to drop those books.
And you're not looking at the camera.
Okay, whatever, who cares about looking at the camera?
This is just for a giveaway anyway.
*2 seconds after posting video*
Wait, FUDGESICLES. You can't post giveaways to Youtube!
*deletes* why did you even make this thumbnail?
Coming soon to the blog: a giveaway of said books with said thumbnail. 
Damn, here's another accidental shot.
Wait, now you know why your Turkish coworker said,
"I knew you were Middle-Eastern when I first saw you."
DAT NOSE.
Remember when your Lebanese cousins were all joking,
"90% of Lebanese girls get plastic surgery on their nose."
Girl, you ain't any better. 
Uh, what are you trying to accomplish here?
HIGH FIVE ME THROUGH THE SCREEN!
also lol at how one palm is SO red and the other SO yellow!
WHY DO ALL YOUR "ENTHUSIASTIC" FACES LOOK PAINFUL.
And is your thumb like triple jointed? What a weird position.  
OMG WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOUR WRIST.
And your last knuckle!
HOW DID THEY GET SO DEFORMED.
Also, your hands look way bigger than your face.
ARE YOU THE HULK.
Step away from the camera, chief. 
Better. Though your hands still creep me out.
The video for this Tuesday aka tomorrow!
((Debating whether I ought to get rid of that other font...))
Another accidental shot! Will this never end. 
Your "oops I haven't read these books yet" face...
It looks like you're picking your nose in front of the camera. 
ENTHUSIASM = PAIN for Christina.
Oh, gosh, you are now like Sad Panda Tom Hiddleston
Whatever, just look at the camera and work with it.
SAD PANDA CHRISTINA AND ALL HER BOOKS.
The video for this Thursday!

Is it obvious that I don't think I've found my style yet? Aside from book bytes, I don't feel like any of these have a rhyme or reason.

I'm silly and kind of paranoid about these thumbnails. I might end up deleting this post later, but I also need some feedback on these thumbnails. I think that my favorites might be this TBR books one and the high fantasy recommendations one, but I don't like these floating book covers either... I'm not sure what road to follow and whether I'm really creating a brand via my thumbnails.

What kind of style do you like best from here? Should I post more things like this in the future? Do you find a look into the making of booktube videos funny/worth it?

Let me know your thoughts!

P.S. If you want to see what videos these thumbnails correspond to, I'd suggest looking at this January recap post.

10 comments:

  1. Reading all of the captions associated with your various pics, and getting an inside look on your thought process was freaking HILARIOUS! It usually takes me forever to get an acceptable photo to post online, but this post clearly shows that I have nothing on you. Haha!

    PS I don't even want to think about how long it must have taken you to put this together!!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post! I have always wondered how long it takes to make such great graphics. It usually takes me at least half an hour to make one (I am not at all gifted with graphics). I would love to see more (hilarious) posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first of all: YOU ARE SO ADORABLE I WANT TO SQUEEZE YOUR CHEEKS.


    I like the: 2015 YA debuts, YA fantasy recommendations, January recap and 2014 favorites a lot :D Most of the times I just snap a picture at the beginning of my haul holding all the books or my favorite cover and that's it, haha. I like that you are trying to make a branch out of your thumbnails :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, your eyes are SO hypnotically beautiful. Also, I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, thanks, Carmel. It should've taken me longer to make this post accessible since it's got very unacceptable photos, but oh well. And it didn't take too long to get together :). Mostly it's the editing and filming of the Booktube videos that takes long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! It takes me a while to edit graphics too - don't be harsh on yourself - and that is definitely one of the negatives of making booktube videos. All that extra time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, thanks! I'll squeeze your cheeks back.


    Man! I like the fantasy recommendations and 2014 favorites too. I keep trying to figure out what I did to get the graphics that way but so rarely do I reproduce that effect :(. And hey, snapping a picture with all the books or your favorite cover, I think, is definitely more effective than what I do at conveying the fact that you are BOOKtubing ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. AYLEE!!!! Hi. I'm so glad you stopped by. I can't wait to visit your blog after I'm done replying to comments. I was just thinking the other day of the bloggers I miss talking to, and you're def one of them. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I have to say that this looks like so much fun but at the same time, so much work!!


    You're hilarious, by the way. Fun post! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, I will admit to having more fun sometimes making the thumbnails than editing/recording videos (mostly when editing the video requires so much work). Thanks, Pam!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please make sure to indicate your blog name so that I can return the favor later :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...